Welcome to Virginia Tech's Department of Finance, Insurance and Business Law. Whether you are a student, parent, alumnus, employer, faculty member or potential research partner, we encourage you to spend time on our website and learn more about our department and what we have to offer.
We are the largest department in Virginia Tech's Pamplin College of Business, with over 20 full-time faculty members serving over 900 undergraduate students. In a typical year, our department awards more than 300 Bachelor's degrees (including double majors). We also have an active Ph.D. program and support the university's various MBA programs in Northern Virginia, Richmond and Roanoke.
- Art Keown Appointed Alumni Distinguished Professor
- Kaley Burlingame is named the outstanding Pamplin Senior
- Kaley Burlingame interviewed on CNBC about stocks
- Brian Slingerland announced as the Pamplin commencement speaker
- Erik Payne named Academic All-American
- Raman Kumar wins Wine Teaching Award
Faculty Journal Acceptances:
Dr. Raman Kumar - Journal of Banking and Finance
• "Cash Flows News, Discount Rate News, and Momentum," with Umut Celiker, Volkan Kayacetin, and Gokhan Sonaer.
Dr. Sattar Mansi - Journal of Corporate Finance
• "Information Asymmetry, the Cost of Debt, and Credit Events: Evidence from Quasi-Random Analyst Disappearances," with Ambrus Kecskes and Francois Derrien.
Dr. Vijay Singal - Journal of Financial Economics
• "Comovement Revisited" with Honghui Chen and Robert F. Whitelaw.
Dr. Ugur Lel - Journal of Financial Economics
• "Say on Pay Laws, Executive Compensation, Pay Slice, and Firm Valuation around the World" with Ricardo Correa.
Dr. Pengfei Ye - Journal of Financial Economics
• "Relative peer quality and firm performance" with Bill B. Francis, Iftekar Hasan and Sureshbabu Mani.