- Ph.D., Finance, George Washington University
- B.S., Electrical Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Corporate Finance, Governance, and Fixed Income Securities
- Freddie Mac, Senior Financial Analyst, Structured Finance, McLean, VA
- Unisys Corporation, Product OEM Engineer, Santa Clara, CA
Corporate Finance, Governance, Fixed Income Securities, and Investments at the undergraduate, graduate, and Ph.D levels.
- “Liability protection, director compensation, and incentives,” with I. Aguir, N. Burns, and J. Wald, Journal of Financial Intermediation 23, December 2014, 570-589.
- “Political institutions, connectedness, and corporate risk taking,” with N. Boubakri and W. Saffar, Journal of International Business Studies 44, April 2013, 195-215.
- “Are short sellers informed? Evidence from the bond market,” with A. Kecskés and A. Zhang, The Accounting Review 88, March 2013, 611-639.
- “Analyst forecast characteristics and the cost of debt,” with W. Maxwell and D. Miller, Review of Accounting Studies 16, March 2011, 116-142.
- “Internal governance mechanisms and operational performance: Evidence from index mutual funds,” with J. Adams and T. Nishikawa, Review of Financial Studies 23, March 2010, 1261-1286.
- “Creditor protection laws and the cost of debt,” W. Maxwell and J. Wald, Journal of Law & Economics 52, November 2009, 701-726.
- “Does customer satisfaction matter to investors? Findings from the bond market,” with E. Anderson, Journal of Marketing Research 46, October 2009, 703-714.
- “Corporate governance and firm cash holdings,” with J. Harford and W. Maxwell, Journal of Financial Economics 87, March 2008, 535-555. (Lead Article)
- “Does corporate governance matter to bondholders?” with M. Klock and W. Maxwell, Journal of Financial & Quantitative Analysis 40, December 2005, 639-719 (Lead Article).
- “Board characteristics, accounting report integrity, and cost of debt,” with R. Anderson and D. Reeb, Journal of Accounting & Economics 37, September 2004, 315-342.
- “Does auditor quality and tenure matter to investors? Evidence from the bond market, with W. Maxwell and D. Miller, Journal of Accounting Research 42, September 2004, 755-793.
- “Founding family ownership and the agency cost of debt,” with R. Anderson and D. Reeb, Journal of Financial Economics 68, May 2003, 263-285.
- “Corporate international activity and debt financing,” with D. Reeb, Journal of International Business Studies 33, Spring 2002, 1-17.
- “Corporate diversification: What gets discounted?” with D. Reeb, Journal of Finance 5, October 2002, 2167-83.
- “Firm internationalization and the cost of debt financing: Evidence from non-provisional publicly traded debt,” with J. Allee and D. Reeb, Journal of Financial & Quantitative Analysis 36, September 2001, 395-414.
- “Bankruptcy prediction models and the cost of debt,” with W. Maxwell and A. Zhang, Journal of Fixed Income 21, March 2012, 25-42.
- “Evidence on quasi-private information and insider trading,” with M. Carter and D. Reeb, Financial Analyst Journal 59, May/June 2003, 60-68.
- “How well do constant-maturity Treasuries approximate the on-the-run term structure,” with J. Jordan, Journal of Fixed Income 10, September 2000, 1-11.
- "Do long term invetsors improve corporate decision making,"with J. Harford and A. Kecskes.Harvard Law School Forum on Governance and Regulation.
- “Investor horizon and corporate cash holdings,” with J. Harford and A. Kecskes.Harvard Law School Forum on Governance and Regulation.
- “Bond covenants, bankruptcy risk, and issuance costs,” with Y. Qi and J. Wald.