1.Who is my advisor?
In order to provide our students with better academic services, the department assigns each Finance Junior and Senior an advisor by the student’s last name. If you want to know who your advisor is, visit the advising page. If you are a freshman or sophmore your advisor information is listed on the Undergraduate Program's Page.

2. What is Upper Division Clearance?

Upper Division Clearance FAQ.

3. Can I minor in Finance?
Unfortunately, the department does not offer a minor in Finance. However you can choose Finance as a second major or a dual degree.

4. What are the requirements for a major in Finance?
You need to fulfill requirements at both Pamplin College of Business and University level before enrolling for finance core courses. The department has a checksheet for you to break down the classes you need to take for by the year you plan to graduate. You will also be required to choose one (or more if you want) career tracks preparing you for your interested job positions. Check the following links for department checklists and course requirements http://www.pamplin.vt.edu/finance/students/checksheets.htm

You may also consult the Undergraduate Course Catalog.

5. What are Finance Career Tracks?
Students select different combinations of elective courses to fulfill the requirements of one or more of the tracks offered. The tracks are:

  • Investment Management and Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Track
  • Corporate Financial Management Track
  • Financial Services Management Track
  • Financial Accounting Track
  • Certified Financial Planner Certification Education Track
  • General Finance Track

6. What is DARS?
DARS is an acronym for Virginia Tech's Degree Audit Reporting System. It is a computer generated report for undergraduate and associate level students. The report matches the degree requirements of an undergraduate degree program showing the student's course work already taken toward the requirements. The audit report serves the following purposes:

a. The audit identifies those graduation requirements completed as well as those requirements needing completion prior to graduation.
b. The DARS report provides each student and advisor with an important advising and planning tool to assist with appropriate course schedules each semester.
c. Students should apply for their degree and initiate a DARS Report no later than the first term of junior year.
For more information check this website: http://www.registrar.vt.edu/academic_records/dars/

7. How do I apply for a degree?

To request a DARS report

  • Log onto Hokie SPA
  • Click on "Degree Menu"
  • Click on "Undergraduate Degree Menu" or "Associate Degree Menu"
  • Click on "Degree Audit Report Menu"
  • Click on "Request a Degree Audit"
  • Select the appropriate degree program from the drop down menu
  • Click "Run Audit"
  • Click "View Submitted Audits"
  • If your audit does not appear click "Refresh the list" until it appears.
  • Click on the link to the DARS

• You can request and view DARS reports at any time after applying for your degree. It is recommended you request a new DARS report at least once each semester.
REMEMBER: If you want to add a minor, concentration or double major, you should do so with your academic dean's office before you can update it on your application for degree.

8. What is a “force-add” and what are the processes for force-add?
A Force-Add is a request for a course when a student is unable to register for the course through either course request or drop/add. All force-adds are processed as soon as possible. Acceptable uses for a force-add would be trying to enroll in a course where you've taken a pre-requisite at another University and the course has not transfered yet, or other such situations. A force-add is not to change a section, or to waive a pre-requisite. The Force-Add form for Finance courses can be found off the Departmental homepage. The Finance Department only processes Force-Adds for Finance courses.

9. Independent Study

There are two types of Independent Studies. 

The most common is an Internship Independent Study.
An Internship Independent Study can be done when an internship requires a student to receive credit in order to be granted the internship.  In order to receive Internship IS credit a student must provide the department the following before the start of the internship:

  1. An offer letter of employment/internship
  2. A description of the internship
  3. A completed Independent Study form

In order to receive credit for the Internship I.S. the student must provide:

  1. A letter of successful completion of the Internship
  2. A 5 to 7 page report detailing what was learned during the Internship

The Internship I.S. will be 1 credit, pass/fail.  It will only count as a free elective.

The second type of Independent study is to further a student's knowledge in a particular area. This type of independent study is rare.  Usually it will be counted as 1 credit, though depending on the depth of the work involved, may be approved for 3 credits. To do this type of independent study, first the student needs to find a professor willing to work with him/her, and then fill out the Independent Study Form.

10. I didn’t consult with any faculty member before starting my internship, can I still get any credit for my internship experience?

Unfortunately, no. Finance Department doesn’t automatically offer academic credits for any internship. However, please see question 12 above for earning credit for an internship.

11. Can I transfer credit on courses I took elsewhere?
Information on Transfering Classes can be found on the Pamplin College of Business Advising page.

12. GRADE REQUIREMENTS (Undergraduate)

  • Overall GPA of at least 2.0 and in-major GPA of at least 2.0 are required for graduation.
  • Fin 3134, Fin 3144, Fin 3154: C or better required for graduation.
  • Fin 3134: C- or better required for taking Fin 3144 and Fin 3154. Must retake FIN 3134 concurrently with 3144, 3154 if the student earns a C-.
  • Fin 3144, 3154: C- or better required for taking senior level FIN courses except Fin 4144, Fin 4154.  Must retake the course (s) concurrently with senior level courses if the student earns a C-.
  • Any course that satisfies a university, college, or department specific requirement, i.e. not a free elective, cannot be taken as a P/F course.
*Always check your DARs report, and Checksheet for changes to rules and grade requirements.